Friday, August 10, 2012

LEAD IN COSTCO LICORICE


I can't make up my mind about whether I like or dislike licorice. But my husband loves it - particularly the soft "Aussie style" that has just been recalled. The reason: too much lead in it.

Lucky Country Inc. of Lincolnton, North Carolina in the U.S. is recalling Lot A3057 of Lucky Country Aussie Style Soft Gourmet Black Licorice with Natural Ingredients ("natural ingredients?" - including "natural" lead?). It is sold at Costco and Smart & Final stores located in California, Arizona, and Utah. I notice that Amazon also sells this product on line, although I am not sure if it is carrying the same lot number.

This is not the first time candy, including licorice, has been found to have dangerous levels of lead. These levels would probably not affect my husband much, but they could affect children.

On thinking about it, I think I will stick to chocolate for my "guilt" sweets. Oh oh. I have just remembered that some chocolate has also been found to have dangerous levels of lead......

To your good health,

TSF

No comments: